Tuesday, May 29, 2018

YALSA's Hub Challenge Part 2.5

Well, I finally got back to finishing my update for the challenge. Sorry for the long wait!

34145174
Sandwiches!: More Than You've Ever Wanted to Know about Making and Eating America's Favorite Food by Alison Deering; illustrated by Bob Lentz (Quick Picks for Young Adults)

What a fun and useful book! I loved all the history bits about the different challenges and how the book is divided up by "levels" based on what kind of equipment you need to make the sandwiches. The challenge parts were a bit gross, but what teen wouldn't love this book?!

34522656

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera (Rainbow List)

This was an interesting one--sad and happy at turns. It really makes you think about how you are living your life and how you would live it if you knew when you would die. The romance kind of reminded me of The Sun is Also a Star. I'll be thinking about this one for a while. I listened to it and really enjoyed the telling.

29430813

Roughneck by Jeff Lemire (Alex Award)

I wasn't sure about this one at the beginning but by the end I was pretty moved. I really like Lemire for his ability to write very Canadian protagonists, stories, and settings. This one is all about family and identity and people who often feel displaced by society. Even the limited palate is very well suited.

32902306

Jonesy vol. 3 by Sam Humphries; illustrated by Caitlyn Rose Boyle (Great Graphic Novels for Teens)

I had read the first two volumes before the awards were announced, so I can't count them. However, I have loved them all. I love the art style, the characters and most definitely the message that being different is okay. This final volume pull it all together nicely, using lots of anime references and a true punk rock feel.

272395

Bird by Angela Johnson (Edwards Award)

I didn't like this one quite as much as I liked Looking for Red. The atmosphere and the interwoven stories worked but the ending was very abrupt.

33215514

#NotYourPrincess: Voices of Native American Women edited by Lisa Charleyboy (Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults and Amelia Bloomer List)

Touching, impactful and sadly necessary. I wish I could give this book to so many people. I am so glad this was compiled. I would love to see even more books like this one.

32497607

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas; audiobook read by Bahni Turpin (Printz, Odyssey, Morris, Amazing Audiobooks, Best Fiction, Quick Picks, Coretta Scott King)

This was pretty much the YA book of 2018.  So well written and authentic voice. I caught myself singing along and picturing things that were referenced. I could hear these characters and feel their true emotions while reading. Having Bahni Turpin read it again to me just made it even better.

33891553

Honor Girl by Maggie Thrash; full cast audiobook (Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults)

Originally I read this one when I was on the Great Graphic Novels for Young Adults committee. I was impressed by it then. Very real to my experience of camp and exploring your sexuality in a somewhat oppressive environment. Maggie’s story is moving and so true. I like how when Maggie feels really isolated a single panel is alone on a page. I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels as audiobooks, but the full cast and sound effects really work well.

Well, that's all for now. I should have one more update for the #hubchallenge for this year. Probably not going to try to read all of them, just 25 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's book award season!!!

The winners of the ALA Youth Media Awards will be announced on Monday morning at 8 am PT (11 am here in NC). Here's the link if you woul...